Promise Island
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I forgot my password

Who is online?
In total there are 3 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 3 Guests

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 92 on Tue Aug 23, 2022 9:48 pm
Latest topics
» Finding Enzo
Golden Waters and Black Sails (Part II) EmptyTue Dec 29, 2015 4:41 pm by Rion Diamond

» Face Claims
Golden Waters and Black Sails (Part II) EmptyTue Dec 29, 2015 4:29 pm by The Rolands

» Jail Break
Golden Waters and Black Sails (Part II) EmptyTue Dec 29, 2015 3:24 pm by The Rolands

» Race Dictionary Form
Golden Waters and Black Sails (Part II) EmptyMon Dec 28, 2015 11:56 pm by Elrich

» Breaking of a New Game
Golden Waters and Black Sails (Part II) EmptyMon Dec 28, 2015 7:18 pm by Addalyn Cinnia Ataktos

» The Distress Call
Golden Waters and Black Sails (Part II) EmptySun Dec 27, 2015 10:14 pm by Rowan Sibyl Roi

» Sim 1: Golem
Golden Waters and Black Sails (Part II) EmptySun Dec 27, 2015 5:12 pm by Aeparia

» A Shattered City with Hopeful Dreams
Golden Waters and Black Sails (Part II) EmptySun Dec 27, 2015 9:26 am by Addalyn Cinnia Ataktos

» LʲUSɪFƏR, The Fallen Archangel
Golden Waters and Black Sails (Part II) EmptySun Dec 27, 2015 12:20 am by lʲusɪfər

Golden Waters and Black Sails (Part II)

3 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Golden Waters and Black Sails (Part II) Empty Golden Waters and Black Sails (Part II)

Post by Aeparia Thu Jun 11, 2015 4:05 pm

Sitting with her legs hung over the edge of the dock, the small girl adjusted her worn white cloak to sit more comfortably over her shoulders. She could often be found here in the afternoons, admiring the ships that so often passed through pirate port. The girl was not often spoken too here, and she was just fine with that. She was never paid much attention, usually only believed to be a poor girl wishing of travel or escape. Although, if one of these pirates or merchants chose to take a closer look, they would be able to see her once-silver wings peeking out from under the cloak.

As far as she could tell, it'd been five years since that monster had killed her. Some how, she'd come back. The last thing she really remembered was looking at a girl, then falling into water.. Then blackness... Eventually, the other details and memories began to return. At least from before that point. Her killer had been Reast Vu.

Her own name was Apsenniel. Once, she had been Queen of the Elves in her home land. Now, she was on Promise Island, merely a shadow of her former self. Since returning, there were some suttle, as well as some major differences to her persona. Ape's wings were now raven black. She was often cold, and felt almost no need for rest or sleep as she used too. There was no discernable reason she could muster as to why she often didn't sleep, but as for the cold.. That was another story to be investigated. Apsenniel had discovered a scar across her chest, and a lack of a vital organ -- her heart. Her soul, she supposed, must have been intact, though she thought it had been destroyed by Re. As a child, she'd heard some stories, rumors, legends.. Legends of a race born in death. Apsenniel now suspected she may now be a member of this race. Missing her heart, changes to appearance, lack of abilities.. It was entirely possible she was an..

Shouting had pulled Apsenniel from her thoughts. Looking across the horizon, two ships were now headed towards the docks. From all the shouting, Ape discerned this might be a popular fellow. Now interested, she stood, admiring the ships as they grew closer. One was a mighty vessel, black from bow to stern. The other.. looked like it'd been beat up. Probably by it's towing vessel. Grinning, Ape knew this may be an adventure she'd like to join in on.
Aeparia
Aeparia
Avariel Elf

Back to top Go down

Golden Waters and Black Sails (Part II) Empty Re: Golden Waters and Black Sails (Part II)

Post by Hector McSkull Thu Jun 11, 2015 4:32 pm

"Land ho!" shouted Scurvy Joe, the lookout. From outside my cabin, I could hear the men scuttling about the deck, I sat motionless in my cabin, still mulling over the ripped page in Captain Pimcoe's log. Johnny Cutlass walked in without knocking and took a seat across from me.
"The men are readying the longboats to debark." said Cutlass. I looked up with a nod then stared back at the log. Cutlass folded his arm. "Let's be frank, Hector. Like I said before, the men are itching to take a prize. There's been talk of mutiny aboard."
"I thought you promised it would never come to that," I growled, "I thought you placed loyal men in all the right places so the crew would never turn."
"No! No, I never said I promised. I'm too old to use that word promise--"
"Don't give me that shit, Johnny!" I interrupted, "You and I have sailed together since '51."
"With a better bunch of men than this lot..." he sighed. I sunk back into my seat, thinking of all those lost comrades.
"Don't I know it..." I sighed. "But I told you there would be some lean days as we tracked Pimcoe's ship, and you said the crew would comply, no?"
"DAYS... Lean DAYS, it's been over two months! We haven't turned a profit in that time! We're the shadow of our former selves and just when we're on the brink of the biggest prize in over ten years, you keep that secret from the men because you don't trust them!"
"You're right, I don't trust them with the truth. This lot would piss away their prize money the minute they set eyes on it." I said.
"So here we are!" Cutlass growled.
"I just need a few more days."
"But the page is gone! It could be anywhere now."
"Well then we'll somehow recreate it! But right now," I snorted, moving out of my chair and walking over to the door, "Let's go collect our bounty for those two boys."
"Aye because someone's sure to pay big money for two scrawny whelps." Cutlass said sarcastically.

A fleet of seven longboats disembarked from the Black Pearl, that was anchored off the coast of Pirate Port. As I looked through my spyglass, I took in the sight that was Pirate Port... A sorry sight it was indeed. It was Promise Island's attempt at any sort of pirate related paradise... but it just didn't feel like home. It felt artificial, man made, and false. It wasn't the same as the ports I had grown up with in the Caribbean. As we stepped onto the dock, surveying the bustling streets filled with pirate men and women, I brought Joshua and Shay to their feet, unbound their chains, and forced them forward.
Hector McSkull
Hector McSkull
Pirate

Back to top Go down

Golden Waters and Black Sails (Part II) Empty Re: Golden Waters and Black Sails (Part II)

Post by Guest Thu Jun 11, 2015 4:52 pm

JOSHUA POV

I watch Shay carefully, half oblivious to everything else and just letting myself get pushed along. But so is Shay. He walks only because he is pushed to do so, and his half lidded eyes are clouded over and staring at nothing. I glance around anxiously, first at the pirates surrounding them, then towards the tavern. Kidd’s there. He has to be. And he’ll bring out Shay’s medicine. But then I realize his ship is gone, and I swear under my breath. Kidd’s not here. I look around again, but this time towards the skies, at all the crystals. If mum was in her tower when we arrived, then she’s already on her way down here. And even if she wasn’t, she’d find out soon. I see the glare in the sky that’s her mechanical falcon, and I watch it fly towards the tower, towards the village. She’ll come, and I’ll be able to get Shay better again. I look at the captain, the McSkull. I know my mom knows who he is, but I wonder if he knows who she is. I wonder if they’ve ever met before. I wouldn’t really be that surprised if they have. But if they haven’t, I realize that this would be a very bad first impression.

Back to top Go down

Post by Hector McSkull Thu Jun 11, 2015 5:02 pm

"I hate this godforsaken pigsty." I said through my throat as we passed through the busy streets. Men and women passed us by, dressed in very stereotypical pirate garb and speaking in forced accents of "Argh" and "yargh" and "Yoho!"
"Times certainly have changed, Cap'n." said Cutlass as he followed behind us. A group of the vanguard composing of Long Tom, Pintel, Grapple, Mallot, Gahreng and Salamon followed along, their muskets and cutlasses close to their hands.
"Aye, but one thing hasn't." I winked, pointing up to the bounty collector's stall. "Now c'mon, let's see what we can get for these two."
Hector McSkull
Hector McSkull
Pirate

Back to top Go down

Post by Alice Liddell Thu Jun 11, 2015 5:13 pm

My falcon flies through the open front door of my house and lands on my shoulder. Seeing that there’s no message he’s bringing, I frown. I close my eyes and focus on my hearing. And I hear a McSkull, and I almost laugh. But then I hear, under the shouts and horrid singing, a voice whispering. One of the few real pirates left on this island – because most of them are out at sail – is whispering under her breath.

“Alice, McSkull has Shay and Joshua. And it looks like he’s headed for the bounty collector.”

I scoff, “Yeah, right.” I shut off the ovens, put away what needs to be put away right away, and then turn to leave. “We’ll talk later,” I say quickly to Reast as I leave. Today’s turning out to be a busy day indeed. And I can’t help but smile as I make my way to the docks. I find McSkull among the people easily, and then I see the bounty collector’s stall. “Huh. Didn’t know that was there.” I muse to myself. My trips to the dock have consisted only of bugging a couple old friends at the tavern and hanging out on the edge of one of the docks when I’m bored. I click the button on my pocket watch, and in an instant I’m in front of McSkull. “Well well, fancy meeting you here, McSkull,” I cross my arms, tipping my head slightly, and letting my accent slip through. For a brief moment, I wonder if he’ll realize who I am. We’ve run into each other briefly in the past, but that was when I was Alice Row and had blonde hair and Copper eyes. Now my black hair and multicolored eyes and completely different energy sometimes mark me as a completely different person. But the Copper highlights in my hair haven’t changed, so that, at least, he should recognize me by. "You're not getting anything for those boys."

Alice Liddell

Back to top Go down

Post by Hector McSkull Thu Jun 11, 2015 5:19 pm

While Gahreng and Salamon were utterly surprised by the transporting woman who now stood in front of us, the remainder of the vanguard and I remained unphased. Through our years of sailing the seas, we had encountered a fair amount of the supernatural and mystical. It would take much more than a simple parlor trick to impress me.
"Not now, love, I'm in the middle of a transaction." But before I pushed her aside, I stepped back and looked her up and down, eyeing the copper highlights. "You seem familiar... did we once share a dalliance underneath the Venice moonlight?" that made my men laugh heartily as I flashed the woman a grin.
Hector McSkull
Hector McSkull
Pirate

Back to top Go down

Post by Alice Liddell Thu Jun 11, 2015 5:24 pm

I can’t help but smirk at the surprise of two of McSkull’s men. Obviously new to the world of the so-called impossible. My time manipulation to teleport is just a simple trick too. A more unique way of doing something that a great many people can do. And then I look at McSkull again. “Of course not. But I see you’ve not changed in the slightest. I used to be Alice Row, and those are two of my sons that you have.”

Alice Liddell

Back to top Go down

Post by Hector McSkull Thu Jun 11, 2015 5:29 pm

"Alice Row?" I asked a little skeptically, trying to think back to running into any sort of Alice Row in my life. There were many people who had come and gone in my life that it was hard to keep track of them all. "Well, if you truly are their mother, you'd be happy to know that it was I who saved them from a cruel fate at the gallows. Found them imprisoned on a merchant vessel off the coast of Hispaniola," I said, pointing to the broken down merchant ship, "Now I'm just collecting my delivery charge. But..." I said, pulling one of the boys back away from her, "Since I can't remember you, how can I be sure that you are who you claim to be and that they are what you claim as well?"
Hector McSkull
Hector McSkull
Pirate

Back to top Go down

Post by Alice Liddell Thu Jun 11, 2015 5:41 pm

I blink at McSkull for a moment, trying to figure out if I’m surprised or offended. Someone actually doesn’t remember me? Doesn’t even know who I am? I sigh and shake my head. “Never mind that,” I decide, speaking more to myself than to McSkull. I shake my head and turn back to McSkull. “We met a few years ago. I may or may not have burned your sails and put a decent sized hole in the side of your ship. But if you don’t think I’m her…” I pause, trying to think of a way to prove myself. “Well, I’m the only one who can use this watch to teleport.” I shrug, gesturing to the pocket watch hanging around my neck from a long Copper chain.

Alice Liddell

Back to top Go down

Post by Hector McSkull Thu Jun 11, 2015 8:06 pm

"Hmm... Well, that doesn't really convince me one way or the other, sorry to break it to you love." I shrugged with a sarcastically sheepish grin. "Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm on a bit of a tight schedule." I grabbed Joshua by the shoulder and pushed him forward, knocking Alice Row aside as we continued on our way. I thought to myself, Pity that our exchange went sour. She did seem like a bonny lass to ask for a drink. Ah well, I'll head up the hill and into the arms of my sweet sweet Scarlett before heading back to the Pearl.
Hector McSkull
Hector McSkull
Pirate

Back to top Go down

Post by Aeparia Thu Jun 11, 2015 8:43 pm

Apsenniel watched with mild interest as the long boats approached the docks. Row, row, row your boat.. she hummed along, slightly pulling the hood of her cloak tighter as the pirates began un-board at the dock. Now peaking her interest, Ape tilted her chin up a bit to get a better look at the so-called prisoners this captain had managed to capture. Two young boys who often frequented the port, she realized.

As Apsenniel was about to confront the captain and demand the release of the two boys, something caught her eye back at the ship's location. Strange.. Apsenniel began thinking, they don't usually have someone who missed the boats.. and they don't usually go by themselves.. At this point, Apsenniel began making her way further down the docks, shedding her cloak.

There were a few hollers and shouts from the workers who usually frequent the pirate docks, surprised by the display of her raven black wings. Most never would have imagined such a thing, since they didn't pay her any mind. Now she'd probably need a new spot to admire the waters and ships.. It was worth it, she concluded, spreading her wings and diving off of the docks, only to rise again and glide across the water with only a few powerful strokes. Lucky for her the man in the longboat was facing away from her, using most of his strength to row.

"Ahem.." Apsenniel stated, crossing her arms and landing lightly on a seat inside the boat. She decided to keep her wings outstretched for effect, and to help her stay balanced on the rocky sea. The man let out a surprised shout, turning in his place to grasp a paper that had been tossed under the middle bench. "Something tells me that that doesn't belong to you," she grinned, removing Silver Reaper, her enchanted titanium sword, from her belt. Before the poor sailor had a chance to blink, his head had detached from his body, rolling into a nook of the longboat, followed by a trail of spattered blood. "Hmm." Apsenniel felt no remorse as the blood on her weapon began to roll off, as if repelled by a magnetic force.

Once again sheathing Silver Reaper, Ape snatched the paper he'd been trying to protect. As she began to fly back towards the docks, Apsenniel hoped this was worth something to that captain. To her it was gibberish, just a bunch of dates and logs. Well, she was about to find out.

Arriving just as the captain had pushed aside a woman, Apsenniel dropped from the sky, landing just infront of him and the boy. "I believe this may belong to you?" She questioned, holding the paper up for display, but not releasing it to him.
Aeparia
Aeparia
Avariel Elf

Back to top Go down

Post by Alice Liddell Thu Jun 11, 2015 8:59 pm

I growl lowly in the back of my throat as McSkull pushes past me. Shay’s been unusually quiet, so I’ve already figured out that something seriously wrong. I realize I can’t hear blood flowing very well in Shay’s body. He hasn’t said anything, he hasn’t done anything. He should have at the very least said something foul enough to piss off at least one of the pirates with McSkull.

I turn around as a girl flies above us, past us, and lands in front of Joshua and McSkull. She holds out the paper, and the look in McSkull’s eyes tells me that this is something he needs and wants. Something that, no doubt, will lead him to a treasure. It’s always been about money for him. So fine. I can play his game.

I reach out and snatch the paper from the girl with raven black wings just as McSkull reaches out to do the same. But I get it first, and I smirk as I take a couple steps back. “Paper for the boys. And if you try to kill either of them, I burn the paper.” I smirk, my eyes taking on that metallic shine and my fangs poking their way out until I can feel their point. And in this moment, I am nearly the monster that I used to be. But with one difference. I am a monster fighting for my family.

Alice Liddell

Back to top Go down

Post by Hector McSkull Sat Jun 13, 2015 12:11 pm

Startled by the winged woman who just dropped down from the sky, my men and I stepped back.
"Who are--" I started to ask, until I looked down at her outstretched hand. Eyeing the paper, I was able to make out a few words faintly in her hand; "Scheduled Path" and "The Ethereal"
"How did you come to this?" asked Johnny Cutlass in sheer astonishment, but before any of us got our answer, the annoying woman Alice Row stood up and quickly snatched the schedule out of the woman's hand. My men trained their pistols on Alice as I whipped one out and pressed the carbine against Joshua's skull. After she said her little threat, I momentarily paused. From the corner of my eye, I saw Long Tom slowly lower his gun. He then came over to me and whispered in my ear,
"Captain, what's more important?" he asked, in his strong African accent with a hint of Jamaican from his time as a slave on a plantation, "The haul of a lifetime or chump change for two scrawny pillocks?" I turned my head to regard my chief gunnery officer's counsel, then turned my attention back to Alice. After a moment's pause, I lowered my pistol and clicked it off, stuck it back into my belt, and held out my hand straight faced.
"Paper first, madam." I say coolly.
Hector McSkull
Hector McSkull
Pirate

Back to top Go down

Post by Aeparia Sat Jun 13, 2015 12:23 pm

Apsenniel crosses her arms after the woman had taken the paper. She must be the mother of the two boys. Ape could see it in her eyes, the anger of a mother who would do anything for her children. Ape smiled a bit as she was questioned by one of the captain's men, as the others trained their weapons on the girl who took the paper. "I'd rather ask how you didn't. None of the men on board even realized a long boat was being used by the guy who had this."

Shrugging, Apsenniel watched as the captain pressed his weapon against one of the boy's heads. This could get messy. She relaxed internally when another pirate spoke to the captain, getting him to lower his pistol. Maybe not so messy..

Ape looked back and forth between the pirate captain and the mother as they had their "stand off."
Aeparia
Aeparia
Avariel Elf

Back to top Go down

Post by Alice Liddell Sat Jun 13, 2015 1:10 pm

I smirk when I hear one of McSkull’s boys whispering to him. Of course I can hear. Not much gets past these ears. And for a moment, McSkull seems to see at least a little bit of sense. Then he asks for the paper first, and I actually laugh, “Excuse me? Shay first, McSkull.” If anything goes wrong, I know that Joshua will be able to handle himself. But Shay’s clearly in no shape to fight. And part of me hates McSkull for putting an obviously sick boy through something like this. But most of me is just focused on getting Shay out of this mess and somewhere safe, where he can get his medicine and can get healthy again before it’s too late. Out of the corner of my eye, I see one of the many women in this area. She’s lingering out of the way, leaning against the corner of the building, possibly half-drunk. But when she sees I’ve noticed her, she holds up a couple bottles. Most people wouldn’t be able to see it because she’s too far away, but I notice the small “W” stamped on the necks of the bottles. Just what Shay needs. His condition is hardly a secret. Almost everyone who’s been on this island, or rather, on this part of the island, for longer than only a few months knows that he’s sick and knows what his medicine is.

I turn my attention back to McSkull. “Shay first,” I repeat.

Alice Liddell

Back to top Go down

Post by Hector McSkull Sat Jun 13, 2015 2:39 pm

This girl is in way over her head, I thought to myself. But, these two brats aren't worth the damned trouble. The true prize is much more valuable.
"Very well," I said, grabbing hold of Shay and pushing him hard towards his mother. Joshua looked at me with almost a half smile and a nod, but just before he was able to rejoin his mother and brother, I grabbed hold of him again and pressed the pistol back onto his temple. "I kept my end of the bargain. You only asked for Shay first. Now ye must honor your half and give me the schedule. Only then will I return your last boy to you."
Hector McSkull
Hector McSkull
Pirate

Back to top Go down

Post by Alice Liddell Sat Jun 13, 2015 2:46 pm

As soon as Shay reaches me, I turn him and shove him towards the woman with the bottles, briefly annoyed with myself that I can’t for the life of me remember her name. That’s always been a thing with me. I can remember all faces and all names, but every once in a great while a poor soul comes along whose name I just can’t seem to hold in my mind. I think there have been a total of three in my life. Maybe four.

I shake my head, bringing my thoughts and attention back to McSkull once Shay’s reached the girl. I turn the paper over in my hand, actually looking at it for the first time. I scan it over in my head, memorizing it quickly and easily, then after only a second, I shrug and hold it out to McSkull. “Now quit aiming guns at my kids heads. It’s rude.”

Alice Liddell

Back to top Go down

Post by Hector McSkull Sat Jun 13, 2015 2:50 pm

I snatch the page out of her hand then, after a moment of glaring at her for reading over the log, I sigh and tuck my pistol back into my belt.
"Run along, kid," I said, patting Joshua on the shoulder, more of a shove rather than a pat, "I've no need for little whelps in my crew." With that, I look to his mother one last time, then turn around back towards the Black Pearl, signaling my men to follow, not bothering to turn back around to deal with any of the crazies that inhabit this island anymore.
Hector McSkull
Hector McSkull
Pirate

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jun 13, 2015 3:10 pm

JOSHUA POV

As soon as the McSkull lets me, I bolt away from the pirates, even away from mom, and run to Shay’s side. He’s sitting on the ground by now, slumped against one of the houses. I’m not even sure whose house this is, exactly. Jenny’s knelt down beside him – maybe it’s her house – getting him to drink rosewater from Wonderland. “Thank you,” I say to her, kneeling down on the other side of Shay, opposite her.

“Oh, it’s no problem,” she says. Wherever she’s from, she has the oddest accent I’ve seen from this realm yet. “He’s in a pretty bad way though. I thought you boys were only going to be gone for a few days?”

“Yeah, we thought so too. But we ended up getting captured by merchants.”

“Not merchants,” Shay mumbled, his voice barely audible and understandable. But I understand him, of course. Jenny, however, looks at him in confusion, then looks to me for a translation.

“He’s convinced they’re not really merchants,” I shake my head, smirking. I look up to see the McSkull pass. I caught glimpses of the paper as the girl with wings, and then as mom, held it out to the McSkull. He’s going after a ship. The Ethereal. I’ve heard of that ship, I know what’s on it. I know about where it is around this time too. Not very close to here at all. This is our chance, I realize. “Stay with him?” I look to Jenny again.

She rolls her eyes, “Oh go on then, chase your next adventure.” But she’s smiling, and opening the second bottle to give Shay to drink.

“Thank you,” I say again to her. I stand up and back towards the docks to catch the McSkull before he can even reach his boats to get to his ship. I stop in front of him, forcing him and his men to stop too. “Take us with you,” I demand.

Back to top Go down

Post by Hector McSkull Sat Jun 13, 2015 3:26 pm

Just as my men and I were walking back to our longboats to prepare our voyage, we were stopped by the same young brat who was just our hostage two minutes ago. In his best impression of an intimidating tone, he demanded that I take him and his brother along to join our 'merry band of thieves'. As his request hung in the air for a brief moment, my men burst out into laughter and tears. I couldn't help but join them, chuckling at the boy's request. He seemed no older than 15, and in hardly any shape to maintain a ship such as The Black Pearl. Though, I did have to admit, he had a sort of cheekiness that was commendable, but would evidently be his undoing one day.
"Ah..." I said, trying to calm myself down now from the laughter, "Run along, boyo. The Black Pearl is a pirate ship, not a daycare." I ruffled with his hair and continued along my way, my men pushing passed him with force.
Hector McSkull
Hector McSkull
Pirate

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jun 13, 2015 3:41 pm

JOSHUA POV

When they laugh, I thank gods Shay’s not here right now. If he were here for this, it would end badly for several people. I glance behind the men, and am even more thankful to see that Jenny’s blocking Shay’s view of this. I wait patiently until they’re done.

When they walk past me, I let them at first, then with another glance towards Jenny and Shay, I turn and run past them to cut them off again. “My brother and I are almost 19,” I say, speaking only part of the truth. In earth time, I would be almost 19. But my aging was accelerated, then slowed down, and the truth is that I’m not completely sure how old I truly am. But Shay is definitely 19 by Earth time. “And we’ve been on a ship before, we’ve handled it before. I doubt you’ll even be stuck with us the whole time. We just need to find something, and you’re the only people left on this island that could take us. If we find what we’re looking for before you do, then we’ll leave and you’ll never have to see us again. But we’ll work, for however long you’re stuck with us.”

Back to top Go down

Post by Hector McSkull Sat Jun 13, 2015 3:49 pm

"I--" before I dismissed him again, I paused for a moment. I've never been one to turn down free labor before. And besides, we'll need every last able bodied hand to take down our prize... Though I wouldn't be too keen on having to bequeath another portion of our treasure money to two strange boys. But, I thought I'll cross that bridge when I get to it.
"You, I could see being useful," I said, pointing a finger at Joshua, then turned my attention towards his ailing brother, "But your brother looks as if he's knocking on death's door. I have no use for dead weight in my crew. But you, I could sign up as a ship's boy for the time being, until I could test your skills and see what use you could have." With that, I held out my hand for him to shake, "Do we have an accord?"
Hector McSkull
Hector McSkull
Pirate

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jun 13, 2015 4:12 pm

JOSHUA POV

I look down at his hand, just standing there for a moment. Part of me knows, this could be my only chance. One of us going is better than neither of us. I could go, and if I find the ship, I could send a message. And Shay could come, with Quinn and Roland, on one of Harlequin’s airships. But then I look up, past the McSkull, at Shay. He’s sitting up now, his eyes open, but still I can see the stiffness in his movements, the pain in his eyes. Despite finally being aware, he does still look bad. He can hear us, I realize. He’s watching me, with a third bottle of the rosewater in his hand. I can’t quite read the look in his eyes. I think part of him is telling me to go, to take the chance. But another part of him is telling me to refuse, to insist that he goes too.

Accepting the offer, going alone, would be the smartest move. And that’s my part in this. To be the smart one, the one who actually thinks things through. It’s me talking to the McSkull now, so I should be saying yes. But instead, when I look back at the McSkull, I’m shaking my head. “No. Not without him. The only reason he was that sick was because he was without his medicine for three days, when we were captured by those bloody merchants and then while you brought us here, for which I’m more thankful than I could ever express. But this is his task, his search. I won’t go without him. As long as he keeps up with his medicine, he’ll be just as able as I am.” I glance at McSkull’s men. None of them particularly weak looking. But still, all of them, not even close to what Shay is. “And when he’s able, he’s stronger than any of the men you have now are. He may look young, but looks can be very deceiving.”

Back to top Go down

Post by Hector McSkull Sat Jun 13, 2015 4:30 pm

Boy, the people on this island reeeealllly are crazy. This wasn't the first time I encountered an inhabitant who boasted of strength, only to fall short of the mark after being in my employment. Judging by what I had seen thus far from these two, I was anything but impressed. Still, I mulled over the possible new arrangement. Maybe I could maneuver a settlement that wouldn't expend any of my own medical expenses on the boys.
"If he's able to move now, then he's welcome aboard same as you. But be forewarned," I said, holding up a finger again, "He's your responsibility should anything happen as you mentioned." I then turned to one of my men, "Master Pintel, mark these two lads down as ship's boys and hand them the Articles of Conscription once aboard." I said, then started toward the longboat as the rest of my crew piles into their own rowboats. "Make ready now, gents! We leave with the tide!"
Hector McSkull
Hector McSkull
Pirate

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jun 13, 2015 5:34 pm

SHAY POV

I can tell the captain doesn’t believe a word Joshua says about me being strong. I can’t say I really blame him, considering the state I was in when they took claim on the merchant ship, or even the state I was in even ten minutes ago.

Now I’m on my fourth bottle of rosewater, courtesy of Jenny Rickers, one of the most mysterious people on this part of the island. Everyone knows her name by now, but nobody knows anything else about her. Not her history, not even where she came from. Any time she’s asked, she gives a different ridiculous response. I once heard her tell someone that she’s from a planet called Bizldwarf and had to run away because she was being hunted for espionage.

Snatching the fifth bottle from Jenny, even though I’m only halfway through the fourth, I shove myself off the ground. Moving is still painful and takes far too much effort for my liking, but in an instant I’m at Joshua’s side, one arm thrown over his shoulders, and I’m grinning. “Fear not, Captain, Joshua’s been responsible for me his whole life.” Joshua rolls his eyes, but he’s already grinning too.

When we follow the men back to the ship, me downing the last half of my fourth drink along the way, then tossing the bottle over my shoulder, we’re both still grinning, until we’re laughing. And we look like fools, especially to Captain McSkull and his men, but at the moment, neither of us care. Because this is it. This time, we won’t get captured by a false merchant ship. This time, we’re going out to the sea, and we’ll keep going, until we find her. And we will find her.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next